Life..a miracle

Life..a miracle

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Memories of singlehood

Not too long ago..but surely feels like a while back that I was single.. :)
It brings back some fun memories for me.. I remember back in Jersey I would hardly have a proper dinner on weekdays..mainly because I used to work pretty late and also since I lacked company. I remember having just hummus and crackers along with some fruit for dinner. I know that's a weird combination but I still enjoyed it.. or just having a big bowl of cereal followed by a small piece of chocolate..aah..I do miss that sometimes.
For the past few days I have been living up my past life again. My dinners have involved something really quick and simple to make which usually categorized as a snack or an appetizer. But nevertheless they are delicious!

The first one is a salad which I remember having it the first time at my friend's place literally a few days after I had first arrived in US. Her mom had prepared a lot of food and it was my first time ever for tasting asparagus..and to tell you the truth it was love at first sight! :P I don't know why and how but since that day asparagus has been one of my most favorites veggies!
So here goes, its a simple asparagus pasta salad. I usually make it real simple meaning doesn't involve 'real cooking' but this time I looked it up and made it similar to this recipe by Rachel Ray. I didn't include all the veggies she recommended since I didn't have them.

Asparagus Pasta Salad


Ingredients:
10-12 asparagus stems
1/2 cup Green peas (Defrost if frozen or get them par-boiled before use)
1 cup pasta, cooked to al dente and cooled (can use farfalle i.e.bow-tie pasta or macaroni)
2 tbsps olive oil (EVOO) - you can adjust it to your liking
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1/2 onion chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Heat the onions and oil in microwave safe covered dish for 30 seconds or in a small pan on the stove top over medium low heat for 5 minutes. Allow oil to cool back to room temperature.
  • My asparagus wasn't very fresh and so I had to snap the lower ends of the stem. Par boil the asparagus tops in 1 inch simmering water covered for 3 to 5 minutes. Cool under cold running water and drain. Cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces on an angle and add to a bowl along with the peas and the pasta.
  • Whisk the vinegar and the olive oil and pour the dressing over the salad and toss. Season salad with salt and pepper, to your taste and toss again. Enjoy!



The next one is something that brings back childhood memories for me! It was one of my favorite snacks back home. The texture, the spicy-tangy flavor..just too yummy! Its a recipe well known in Maharashtrian households. Its called Dadpe Pohe. In Marathi "Dadpe' means to soak pohe (flattened rice flakes - thin) in very little water and then add some pressure to them to get them crushed,not too much to avoid clumping.

I am being lazy here and not writing the whole recipe out but rather giving you this link to a blog which has the recipe well written and with a picture.

P.S. Sorry for the poor quality of pictures..my phone can only do so much.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I remember the quick dinners thrown together! Husband does let me do it sometimes - we just ate grilled pita bread with pepperjack cheese y'day! :D

    I like the pasta dish - simple for a summer meal

    ReplyDelete