I started off my weekend by finally going for the Harry Potter movie. I was really looking forward to watch it, but apart from the movie, I had something else on mind and was far more excited about that. I was determined to get a couple of must-have and good-to-have things for our home. And today was a good day for that.. :P I managed to get a new gas-top grill/skillet and a lovely dutch oven. I also got an ice-cream maker and cant wait to make the first batch of frozen yogurt.
After thinking over what I bought today, I actually understood that I indirectly made some healthy choices. As the wedding date gets closer, eating healthy is becoming a necessity and day-by-day me and my fiance have gone down on the quantity and type of food we consume. I try to shop for things on a daily basis and make conscious choices towards consuming whole grains,fresh fruits and veggies. And these recent purchases are surely going to help me through my usual cravings.
We usually spend saturdays with friends but without a set plan,we both decided to relax and stay in. With that I got the opportunity to officially inaugurate the new grill. :) I wanted to make something quick and simple using the grill and started thinking of grilling pita bread to make a simple sandwich. With basic ingredients at home I decided to keep it simple and to my delight, it came out really well.
Veggie pita-bread sandwich
Veggie pita-bread sandwich
4 - whole wheat pita-bread
1-2 cloves garlic chopped finely
1 - onion sliced
1 - green bell pepper sliced
10-12 mushrooms (I used crimini,gives a very earthy flavor)
3 tbsps - dijon mustard
1 tbsp - balsamic vinegar
2-3 tbsps - olive oil
1 tsp ground chili flakes
salt and freshly ground pepper
- Drizzle olive oil into a heated skillet/non-stick pan. Once the oil is heated add in the garlic and saute for a minute, followed by the onions.
- Once the onions are a bit caramelized, add in the rest of the veggies. Let it saute for about 6-8 minutes. Once the veggies are cooked, season them with salt,pepper.Sprinkle some chili flakes to give it a kick!
- Heat another grill/non-stick pan and use a oil spray to coat the base. Place a pita bread and let it get toasted from one side. Add a few spoonfuls of the veggies and make a roll out of it. Let it get toasted on both sides.
- On the side, mix the mustard and the vinegar to make a garnishing sauce.
- Serve the rolls piping hot with the sauce. Enjoy!
I am so happy that I got this grill and the dutch oven. Both are made of cast iron and using them really gives a very rich flavor to the food. I remember back in India my mom still uses a cast iron kadhai (frying pan) and she is very possessive about it. :P It so wonderful to see that such simple things can make such a big difference!