Life..a miracle

Life..a miracle

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Macaron frenzy ends..having cheerios to celebrate.. ;)

I have been busy..crazy busy..with work and with crazy unplanned macaron adventures! Finally after about 6 batches of macarons I can claim that I can make good macarons!! Yippee! :) I set out at the beginning of this month on a macaron learning process, the french ones ..oh yeah! And 15 days later here I am feeling so much confident about it. Here is a sneak preview of it:



I am making them for the upcoming San Diego Bake Sale on April 28th.

So after I reached a point where I felt confident of that the fact that I wont be messing up things at the last minute before the sale, I realized that I really wasn't baking anything else! OMG! So when I found my mind macaron free I baked my heart out.. :D.. first up was a savory dish baked bakarwadi..sadly I cant find which memory chip I put the pictures on, I will find them and post them later on.

But yesterday after going through a periodic pantry clear up process I found that I had few over-ripened bananas and a box full of cheerios cereal! I keep this cereal in my pantry as a backup cereal..yes I am a freak..but it helps to have a couple of choices for cereal. :) So when I realised that this box was moving towards getting too old I had to find alternate options to use it and this experiment just found the right place for it! :) When I googled for cheerios recipes I actually found a lot of recipes on their own website..they looked pretty good and inspired from them I decided to experiment.

We have banana-nut loaf/muffin all too often to feel the need to experiment with it..but I still decided to go ahead and give it another stroke of newness..so here it is..the muffins came out really good..light yet satisfying!



Cheerios banana nut muffins

Ingredients:

    1 1/4 cups Honey Nut Cheerios cereal
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    2 tbsp packed brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 ripe banana
    1/2 cup yogurt
    2 tbsp canola oil
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1 egg white
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts
    1 tsp coarse or granulated sugar 
  • Heat oven to 400°F. Spray bottoms only of 8 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray, or line with paper baking cups. Spray bottoms only of paper baking cups with cooking spray. In large resealable food-storage plastic bag, coarsely crush cereal with rolling pin or meat mallet.
  • In a bowl, mash the bananas and mix in the yogurt.
  • In another bowl, mix crushed cereal, flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. In a mixing bowl, beat oil, vanilla and the egg white until blended. Add the yogurt mixture and mix well. Now add the flour mixture followed by the walnuts. Spoon batter into muffin cups. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
  • Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from pan to cooling rack. Serve warm or cool.

3 comments:

  1. macarons can be so frustrating, i know! but yours turned out SO well! :D we were all very lucky to try them at the bake sale!

    -Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Macarons look great!! Never imagined cheerios could be turned into such a tasty dish :D

    Please post the bakarwadi recipe.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ann: Thank you!! And yes I have had my frustating times with the macs..urgh!! but now pretty much got past that! huff!
    @Tanu: I know I never imagined cheerios would be so easy an ingredient..the idea struck and the combinations were actually endless! The bakarwadi recipe will be up soon..a photo hunt is pending. :)

    ReplyDelete