Life..a miracle

Life..a miracle

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Pumpkin Raita

Hello everyone! Today's post is going to be a short one with the recipe I intend to share before the month of October passes by and to remind myself and everyone that my online entity, my blog will fight to survive! :)
Time is passing by really quickly, I still feel summer ended just now and it ended in a high with us visiting the Yellowstone National Park. But we are already at the end of October!! None-the-less October marks the beginning of festivities and this month has been filled withe exciting things!
The Indian festival Navratri passed us at the beginning of this month and I got to spend it with my aunt and her family. I was truly pampered and ate yummy food all homemade for a whole week! :) With Dassera getting over the hype for Halloween was in the air and of course I had to pick up some pumpkin for myself! I haven't as yet ventured into pumpkin carving but I do certainly buy fresh pumpkin.
Everyone knows about pies, breads and various other desserts using pumpkin, but Indians eat pumpkin mostly in a savory way. I being a picky eater preferred eating it in only one way and that's the quick recipe I wanted to post today!

Pumpkin Raita (Bhopalyacha Bhareet)
1 cup cooked and mashed pumpkin
1 cup yogurt
1-2 green chilies 
3-4 curry leaves
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
pinch of asafoetida (hing) 
1 tsp oil for tempering
salt to taste



  • Peel and chop the pumpkin into cubes (inch size) or bigger if u don't want to mash it completely.
  • Steam the pumpkin till it softens and is easy to mash. (usually 2 whistles for a pressure cooker)
  • Mash the pumpkin and add in the yogurt and mix well. I like my pumpkin to be all smashed but I know my mom prefers to see pieces in her raita, so that it doesn't look like baby food. :P
  • Add in the chillies and salt to taste. 
  • Make the tempering by heating oil and adding in the mustard seeds, curry leaves, turmeric powder and asafoetida. Wait till the seeds splutter and add the tempering in the pumpkin mixture. Mix well and the raita is ready to eat! I usually served it with chapati, but goes well as a side with rice and dal too!

Hope you guys enjoy this recipe! Lots of exciting things in process and coming up and I am determined to share it with everyone and post more often! :)

2 comments:

  1. What happened to my comment? Boo...good to see you back. looking forward to all the holiday cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now it made it! :) Google dynamic pages got the comments broken! Sigh! Brought my blog back to simple templates..hope to write more!

    ReplyDelete